What motivated you to fundraise for the Y Turkey Trot Charity 5K in 2017?
My motivation came from a few different places. One was raising money for kids in need… I figured it was one small way I can give something to the city we live in. It was also fun having a goal to work towards and a good reason to get out and run more regularly!
What are your top five fundraising tips for beginners?
- Be sure to describe what you’re doing, why you’re doing it and how their donation can be impactful in a child’s life. Talk about your training and challenges. The more you offer, the better your chance of convincing people to give.
- Consistency is key. Email regularly.
- ALWAYS INCLUDE YOUR DONOR PAGE URL! ALWAYS!
- Send a follow-up email after the event thanking everyone for helping to make the Turkey Trot a success. Tell them how much you raised and reiterate what a difference they made in the lives of children. Include a tired/sweaty post-race selfie of you—people want to know you earned their donations!
- My last piece of advice is to thank each contributor individually. Write them a nice email thanking them, and let them know how they are helping to improve a child’s life.
What was your favorite thing about race day? Well, first it was a beautiful autumn morning—perfect for running! I loved seeing all the people out there, running, walking, jogging. Seeing everyone out there all doing the same thing, having fun at a charitable event, was both rewarding and motivating. Also finishing! Just finishing was pretty great.
Thanks for the tips, Jason!
And for all the 2018 Turkey Trotters out there, did you know that upon registration we automatically create a fundraising page for you? All you need to do is “claim it” and get cracking! We also have an awesome range of Fundraising Prizes available to all our top fundraisers. Check them out here.