If you don’t have a cafeteria or time to bring a healthy lunch from home, follow these eat right tips when eating out:
- If you can, choose restaurants with healthier menu options and order those options.
- Try a vegetarian option, such as a grilled vegetable Panini or wrap with fresh vegetables and hummus. Avoid vegetarian options that are overloaded with cheese, which can have lots of calories and fat.
- Opt for grilled meat, fish, and poultry rather than fried.
- Order a salad with the dressing on the side. Watch out for main dish salads with a lot of cheese or fried meats and toppings. Ask for less cheese and grilled meats.
- Order the smallest sandwich, or even get the kid’s size. Skip anything called “double.” Go for the 6-inch sub rather than the foot-long option.
- Ask if whole wheat is an option for buns and bread.
- Opt for fresh vegetables, fresh fruit, or low-fat yogurt as side dishes.
- Order broth-based vegetable or bean soup rather than creamy soups.
- Choose sugar-free drinks, such as water (best choice!), unsweetened tea, coffee, or diet soda.